Champion Spotlight – Black Widow (Claire Voyant)
A Mystic with many deadly curses, Black Widow (Claire Voyant) enters The Contest on Sept. 5th! Read on to learn more about Claire’s curses now.
MCoC Champion Spotlight – Black Widow (Claire Voyant)
The Contest’s newest Champion, Black Widow (Claire Voyant), was a spirit medium who communicated with the dead through supernatural means. Killed by a client in a job gone wrong, Voyant is sent to Hell where Satan gives her the ability to kill with a single touch, sending her back to Earth to avenge her own death.
Like all Champions, there’s so more to this Mystic. Here are a few details:
About Black Widow (Claire Voyant)
After avenging her murder, Voyant returns to Satan who, no longer content to wait for evil souls to die a natural death, charges her with bringing more souls to him.
Black Widow’s (Claire Voyant) Mechanics
Claire is focused on cycling through her different curses throughout the fight to always stay one step ahead of the Opponent. Each of Claire’s 3 curses are associated with different utility: Curse of Blood is focused on Regeneration, Curse of Plague is focused on Power Control, and Curse of Hellfire is focused on damage. By ending a combo with a light attack Claire can switch her active curse, allowing her to adjust her utility set on the fly throughout any given fight.
Additionally, each curse comes with a matching immunity making her great at completely bypassing Bleed, Poison and Incinerate effects.
Base Stats & Abilities
*All stats based on 4-Star, Rank 5, Level 50, Signature Level 99
HEALTH: 14368 ATTACK: 1441
MAX PI: 4807
WITHOUT SIGNATURE: 3892
WITH SIGNATURE (99): 4807
*All stats based on 5-Star, Rank 5, Level 65, Signature Level 200
HEALTH: 28807 ATTACK: 2888
MAX PI: 10620
WITHOUT SIGNATURE: 7824
WITH SIGNATURE (200): 10620
Character Class: Mystic
Basic Abilities: Power Steal, Regeneration, Nullify, Death Touch
- Claire’s ability to switch her active immunity makes her extremely valuable against many Opponents and nodes. This also allows her to synergize with the Double Edge and Liquid Courage Masteries very well, since she can have both of them purified within a single combo.
- Fighting Opponents Who are Immune
- While playing as Claire, it’s very valuable to play against an Opponent who is immune to her Debuffs because it allows her to gain Clairvoyance charges and power at an extremely rapid rate. This also works very well in matchups on Stun immune nodes, since each Parry will also give her a charge and power!
- Power Control and Sustainability
- Claire’s ability to Power Steal granted through the Curse of Plague allows her to keep the Opponent’s power under control for most of any given fight, additionally switching back to Curse of Blood allows her to heal back any chip damage she might have taken during the fight!
- Opponents Who Aren’t Immune
- Claire really needs her Clairvoyance charges to hit her true potential, Opponent’s who aren’t immune to one of her 3 different Debuffs can be annoying to fight since building those charges will be much more difficult.
- Power Sting
- Claire relies on throwing a high number of Special Attacks. If suffering from Power Sting, Claire will take a ton of damage when activating Special Attacks and will have to stop her loop until the effect has fallen off.
- Evasion Champions or anyone that prevents a full 5 hit combo
- Claire needs to finish a full 5 hit combo ending with a Light Attack in order to switch to her next curse. Any Champions who can prevent this from happening will lock her into a single curse and shut down a lot of her best utility.
- Clairvoyance Charge – Passive
- Claire starts with 3 charges. Each time she or her Opponent are immune to any effect, or an immunity Purifies a pre-existing effect, she gains 1 charge and 4% of her max Power. Charges stack up to 20.
- After landing or receiving a Light or Medium attack and the Opponent has 1 or more Buffs, a charge is consumed and 1 Buff is Nullified.
Developer’s Note: Claire performs very well against nodes that grant the Opponent an immunity such as Stun or Debuff immune nodes since each time the Opponent is immune she will gain a Clairvoyance charge, allowing her to loop her Special 2 Attack and keep the Opponent’s power under control for the whole fight.
Curse of the Black Widow
- Claire has 3 types of curses, each providing her with a different immunity, however, only 1 curse can be active at a time.
- By default the Curse of Blood is active. Landing a fourth Light Attack casts the next curse in the following order:
- Curse of Blood: Bleed immunity.
- Curse of Plague: Poison immunity.
- Curse of Hellfire: Incinerate immunity.
Special Attack 1 – Curse of Damnation
Summoning a blast from the underworld, Claire curses her Opponent.
- Finishing a combo with a Medium attack inflicts 1 Debuff. Throwing a Heavy Attack or Special 1 inflicts up to 3 Debuffs. These Debuffs are determined by Claire’s active curse and last for 8 seconds.
- Curse of Blood: Bleed, dealing 57.64 direct damage.
- Curse of Plague: Poison, dealing 57.64 damage and reducing health recovery by 30%.
- Curse of Hellfire: Incinerate, dealing 57.64 damage, removing Perfect Block Chance and reducing Block Proficiency by 50%.
Developer’s Note: If the Opponent is throwing a Special Attack that lasts for a long duration and doesn’t cover the whole screen, Claire can dash back and throw Heavy Attacks during their attack to cast Debuffs onto them safely. It’s important to keep an eye on the Opponent since they will likely dash right back in after their attack ends, but this can be a quick trick to build Debuffs or charges.
Special Attack 2 – Wrath of the Widow
Leaping forward, Claire uses her shadow limbs to slash the Opponent with a series of devastating blows.
- 100% chance to inflict the Opponent with Buff Immunity for 10 seconds. Decreasing to 50% against Science Champions.
- Each hit grants an effect determined by Claire’s active curse.
- Curse of Blood: Regenerate 35% of the damage dealt.
- Curse of Plague: Steal 5% of the Opponent’s current Power.
- Curse of Hellfire: Deal a burst of 1152.8 direct energy damage.
Developer’s Note: By using some smart timing, it’s possible for Claire to throw a Special 2 while Curse of Plague is active and steal back enough power to immediately throw another special. Balancing the different curses, depending on the matchup, is key to playing as Claire.
Special Attack 3 – Soul Reaver
Claire seals the Opponent’s fate marking their forehead with the touch of death and sentencing their soul to Hell.
- All Clairvoyance charges are removed, each increasing her Attack Rating during this attack by 288.2.
- Claire gains Death Touch, lasting for 1.2 seconds per Clairvoyance charge removed, Death Touch increases the Potency of all Curse effects by 100% and is not affected by Ability Accuracy reduction.
Signature Ability – Death Immunity
While Death Touch is Active
When receiving damage that would knock her out, Death Touch is consumed instead and Claire gains a Death Immunity Buff, preventing death and healing 18.83% of her max health over 4 seconds.
Developer’s Note: If Claire is awakened, Death Touch is a great way to survive incoming Special 3 Attacks or other high damaging unavoidable attacks. Additionally any hit that would kill Claire while Death Touch is active will grant her a Clairvoyance charge since she is immune to it.
- Guilty Souls Self-Synergy at 2-Stars and higher Unique Synergy
- All Champions: Gain +10% Attack when fighting against Villain Opponents.
- Spider’s Bite with Black Widow at 3-Stars and higher Unique Synergy
- Black Widow (Claire Voyant): While Death Touch is active, all attacks reduce the Opponent’s chance of triggering their abilities by 50%.
- Black Widow: Activating a special attack grants a Fury Buff increasing Attack Rating by 20% for 6 seconds.
- Fire and Forget with Human Torch, Sunspot & Mephisto at 4-Stars and higher Unique Synergy
- Whenever the Opponent is immune to Incinerate they’re inflicted with a Slow Debuff for 8 seconds reducing the Ability Accuracy of Unstoppable and Evade effects by 100%. This Debuff does not stack and will not trigger if the Opponent has natural Class advantage.
- A Spell A Day Keeps The Doctor Away with Doctor Strange at 4-Stars and higher Unique Synergy
- The final hit of Special 2 has a 50% chance to inflict Stun for 2 seconds.
- Judgement Day with Ghostrider at 5* and higher Unique Synergy
- All Champions reduce the duration of the Opponent’s Buffs by 30%.
- Liquid Courage:
- Claire is immune to Poison effects while her Curse of Plague is active, allowing her to negate the negative effects of Liquid Courage.
- Double Edge
- Claire begins each fight with Curse of Blood active while grants immunity to Bleed effects allowing her to ignore the negative effects of Double Edge.
- Mystic Dispersion
- Claire has a very consistent and easy to access Nullify making Mystic Dispersion a great way to build power extremely quickly.
- When using Lifesteal, the Recovery mastery allows Claire to heal for even more!
If you play Marvel Contest of Champions,
join the discussion in The Forum.