CHAMPION SPOTLIGHT – COSMIC GHOST RIDER
About COSMIC GHOST RIDER
During Earth’s last stand against Thanos the Punisher, Frank Castle, was struck and killed. A lifetime of killing saw his soul sent to Hell, and a deal struck with Mephisto saw him to become the latest Ghost Rider. But by the time he returned to Earth, everything was dead, and Thanos was gone. After endless years alone, Ghost Rider was found by Galactus, who agreed to make him his Herald in exchange for being allowed to devour Earth. And so he became the Cosmic Ghost Rider, and a Herald of Galactus.
COSMIC GHOST RIDER’s Mechanics
Playing Cosmic Ghost Rider is like a “Choose Your Own Adventure” of Buffs. Different actions trigger different Buffs, and Buffs cause Judgments. Judgments are what Cosmic Ghost Rider is after as they increase the Duration of further Buffs, until he consumes his Judgments and the loop starts over. Controlling the order Cosmic Ghost Rider’s Buffs are triggered in is key to getting maximum value out of the high impact ones, and then combining them with Armor Breaks to reach max potential. When battling against Cosmic Ghost Rider your concern becomes preventing his Buffs, and therefore their associated Judgments. Fate Seal is a useful reset button on his building counter, and the Unblockable Buff on his Special 1 needs to be respected if that Judgement hasn’t triggered yet. Once his Signature Ability unlocks he becomes much more dangerous on Defense, as allowing him to reach his 5th Judgment will then trigger a much more dangerous Damnation Debuff.
Base Stats & Abilities
|Health||Attack||PI (Max Signature)|
(Rank 3, Level 45)
Character Class: Cosmic
Basic Abilities: Immunity Bleed, Immunity Incinerate, Fury, Armor Break
- Cosmic Ghost Rider has some very strong Buffs which you have quite a bit of control over triggering, allowing him to stack them for some big combos and dps spike moments!
- Full Immunity to Bleed and Incinerate gives him some good matchups against Champions and Quest Buffs which rely on these effects.
- Controllable Playstyle
- While Cosmic Ghost Rider certainly wants to unleash hell when he reaches 5 Judgments, you actually have quite a bit of control over when this happens, making Cosmic Ghost Rider surprisingly viable even in more complicated fights.
- Buffs are one of the classic MCoC double edged swords. They can be very powerful, but if Cosmic Ghost Rider runs into something that will Nullify his Buffs he’s in trouble.
- Armor Break/Debuff Immunity
- Cosmic Ghost Rider can stack up a lot of Armor Breaks on his Opponent without having to try very hard. If they’re able to remove or ignore these effects, he’ll definitely feel the difference in his damage output.
- Power Control
- Cosmic Ghost Rider needs to be able to use his Power Gain Buff correctly to slingshot him through his loop. If he gets Power Controlled at a bad moment it can break his rotation.
The following Stats and Abilities are based on a Rank 5, Level 65, 5-Star Champion
Immunities – Passive
- A lack of blood provides Full Immunity to Bleed.
- Being wreathed in hellfire provides Full Immunity to Incinerate.
Developer’s Note: And yes this means Ghost Rider is *finally* getting Incinerate Immune as well.
Cosmic Penance Stare – Debuff
- When fighting a #Villain, at the start of the fight gain a 100% Chance to place an indefinite Armor Break Debuff on the Opponent reducing their Armor Rating by 700, and removing an active Armor Up Buff.
Developer’s Note: Just a little extra flat damage against #Villains
Cosmic judgment – Passive
- When Cosmic Ghost Rider triggers Armor Up, Fury, Precision, Cruelty, Power Gain, Unblockable, Vigilance, or Aptitude Buffs he also has a 100% chance to gain a corresponding judgment.
- Each judgment can only be stacked a single time, but lasts indefinitely.
- Each judgment increases the duration of any Buff Triggered by 20%. While you have 5 judgments in place, this bonus is doubled.
- Upon gaining any 5 or more judgments there is a 100% chance to place a Power Lock Debuff on the Opponent for 4 seconds.
- After this Power Lock ends or if it fails to apply, all judgments on the Opponent are converted to Armor Break Debuffs, reducing their Armor Rating by 1130 for 10 seconds, and removing an Armor Up Buff.
- If Cosmic Ghost Rider gains a Fate Seal Debuff, he Removes all of his judgments, and he cannot trigger new ones until it ends.
Developer’s Note: Ok here’s the meat and potatoes of CGR’s kit. Triggering a Buff triggers the corresponding Judgement (only 1 Judgement per Buff Type), Judgements make your Buffs last longer, at 5 Powerlock your Opponent, then they all covert to Armor Breaks, and you start over. The fun part comes in controlling the order you trigger your Buffs in, can you fit in an Aptitude before triggering the Fury? When do you get maximum value out of the Power Gain? Etc. However Cosmic Ghost Rider will trigger Judgments for any of the listed Buffs when they’re placed on him. This means Quest Buffs, Synergies, etc are all valid places to give Cosmic Ghost Rider some extra Judgments.
- When Struck if the Judgment of Armor is not active: 100% Chance to trigger an Armor Up Buff granting +900 Armor for 10 seconds.
Developer’s Note: Cosmic Ghost Rider has a lot of Buffs which read pretty much like this one. You can trigger the Buff, but once that Buff places a Judgment, you have to wait until that Judgment clears to place it again. Basically this means you can trigger this Buff once per 5 Judgment rotation.
Finish a 5-Hit Combo with a Medium attack
- If the Judgment of Vigilance is not active: 100% Chance to trigger a Vigilance Buff, preventing your attacks from Missing for 10 seconds.
Developer’s Note: Vigilance is either a nice counter to an annoying Miss (G2099 or Darkhawk), or an easy to trigger throw away Judgment.
Finish a 5-Hit Combo with a Light attack
- If the Judgment of Power Gain is not active: 100% Chance to trigger a Power Gain Buff, granting 75% of a Bar of Power over 1.25 seconds.
Developer’s Note: This is a big one for CGR. It’s a strong short Power Gain Buff, and using it correctly is critical to Cosmic Ghost Rider being able to jump to the Special Attack that corresponds to the next Buff/Judgment he’s looking for.
When Charging a Heavy Attack
- If the Judgment of Aptitude is not active: 100% Chance to trigger an Aptitude Buff increasing the potency of any Armor Up, Fury, Cruelty, and Precision Buffs triggered by 50% for 8 seconds.
Developer’s Note: Another important Buff for CGR. Do you trigger it right before the Buff you want to boost, or try to save it until late in his rotation, and try to boost multiple Buffs with it?
When Activating a Special Attack
- If the Judgment of Cruelty is not active: 100% Chance to trigger an Cruelty Buff granting +737 Critical Damage Rating for 15 seconds.
Developer’s Note: The Cruelty is quite nice for damage output, especially if you can combine it with the SP2’s Precision.
Special 1 – Hellfire – Channeling Hellfire through his chains and blasters, the Cosmic Ghost Rider, rips and tears at his opponent before blasting them away.
- On Activation: If the Judgment of Unblockable is not active: 100% Chance to trigger an Unblockable Buff for 1 second.
- On Hit: 100% Chance to Incinerate, dealing 1380 Energy Damage over 5 Seconds, reducing Block Proficiency by 50%, and removing all Perfect Block Chance.
Developer’s Note: The Unblockable here is useful for countering some annoying Autoblocks, and can catch you by surprise on Defense if you’re not paying attention.
Special 2- Power Cosmic – Wielding the Power Cosmic, Ghost Rider lifts into the air and unleashes lightning blasts of energy at his opponent.
- On Activation: If the Judgment of Precision Is not active: 100% Chance to trigger an Precision Buff increasing Critical Rating by 8400 for 15 seconds.
- On Hit: 100% Chance to apply an Armor Break Debuff on the Opponent reducing their Armor Rating by 1718 for 15 seconds, and removing an active Armor Up Buff.
Developer’s Note: Both the Precision and the Armor Breaks from this SP can have a big impact on CGR’s damage output. But be careful! While that Precision is really strong, you can easily trigger the Judgement of Precision with Dexterity.
Special 3 – Cosmic Judgment – Combining the Power Cosmic with the Spirit of Vengeance, the Cosmic Ghost Rider summons his Hell Cycle before unleashing all his power on his victim.
- On Activation if the judgment of Fury is not active: 100% Chance to trigger an Fury Buff granting 2876 Attack for 15 seconds.
Signature Ability – Cosmic Vengeance: Cosmic Ghost Rider’s vengeance is so great that even after they’re removed his Judgments weaken the very fabric of his opponents.
- The Powerlock Debuff triggered when reaching 5 judgments is upgraded to a Damnation Debuff dealing 2877 damage over 5 seconds. Opponents under Damnation are also Power Locked, Heal Blocked, and Fate Sealed.
Developer’s Note: Cosmic Ghost Rider’s Signature Ability is good on both Attack and Defense. Obviously on Defense it makes triggering his 5th Judgment quite a bit more hazardous, and bringing a Fate Seal along to reset him safely might be a good idea. On Offense it gives him the ability to counter some spike healing abilities, or Buffs.
SPIRITS OF VENGEANCE – Unique
With Ghost Rider
Cosmic Ghost Rider: Gain +50% Buff Duration if you have no Judgments active on the Opponent.
Ghost Rider: Increase Fury Buff Duration by 100%.
HERALDS OF GALACTUS – Unique
With Silver Surfer, Terrax, Air-Walker
Cosmic Ghost Rider: Once Per Fight: Dash Back and Hold Block for 1.2 seconds, the next Judgment you attempt to trigger has -100% Ability Accuracy.
COSMIC JUSTICE ON WHEELS – Unique
With Night Thrasher
Cosmic Ghost Rider: Increased Armor Break Debuff Duration by 35%.
Night Thrasher: The last hit of a Heavy Attack refreshes 1 active Taunt Debuff.
COSMIC BANE OF EVIL – Unique
With Man Thing
Cosmic Ghost Rider: On Heavy Charge gain a 100% Chance to trigger an Unstoppable Buff, lasting 0.5 seconds, then going on Cooldown for 10 seconds.
Man Thing: Gain 5 Agitation whenever you Nullify a Buff.
PUNISHMENTS OF INFINITE VARIETY – Unique
With Punisher 2099
Cosmic Ghost Rider: The first time your Opponent reaches Max Power each fight, drain 5% of their Power and trigger a Power Lock Debuff lasting 2 seconds.
Punisher 2099: Heavy Attacks have a 100% chance to grant a Fury Buff increasing Attack Rating by 25% for 20 seconds.
- Cosmic Ghost Rider gets 5 Armor Breaks each time his Judgments get consumed, so it’s pretty easy for him to keep this Mastery stacked up without even having to try.
- Double Edge
- Being Immune to Bleed, as well as having a strong Power Gain to make him less reliant on his SP1 and SP2, and makes Cosmic Ghost Rider pretty Suicide friendly.
- Block Proficiency/Perfect Block
- So yes this is generically a very useful Mastery, but given CGR’s interaction with Dexterity (or more specifically the Precision it triggers), he’s a little more likely than most to want to Block instead of Dodge. His base Block Prof is pretty good, but every little bit helps!