CHAMPION SPOTLIGHT – EMMA FROST
Check out Emma Frost’s preview bundle on September 18th at 10AM PDT for a chance to try her out early or wait for the Arenas to start on September 27th at 10AM PDT!
About Emma Frost:
Emma Frost is an incredibly powerful mutant, with a brilliant mind to match. She possesses staggering telepathic abilities, and is able to transform her body into organic diamond, rendering her almost indestructible. From White Queen of the Hellfire Club, to leader of the X-Men, she handles every challenge with grace, poise, and wit as sharp as a diamond.
Base Stats & Abilities
*All stats based on 4-Star, Rank 5, Level 50
- Without Signature: 3821
- With Signature (99): 4662
*All stats based on 5-Star, Rank 5, Level 65
- Without Signature: 7698
- With Signature (200): 10430
Character Class: Mutant
Basic Abilities: Bleed Immunity, Resist Physical, Prowess, Taunt, Power Sting, Concussion
*All abilities based on 4-Star, Rank 5, Level 50, Signature Level 99
- Emma Frost starts the fight in Diamond Form.
- When Emma Frost is at least one Power Level ahead of the Opponent, she deactivates Diamond Form and switches to Telepath Form.
- When the Opponent is at least one Power Level ahead of Emma Frost, she deactivates Telepath Form and switches to Diamond Form.
- When Emma Frost is inflicted by an Armor Break effect, she is forced into Telepath Form, and cannot swap to Diamond Form for the duration of the Armor Break.
Developer Note: Learning how and when to swap between her two forms is the key to maximizing Emma Frost’s damage and making the most of her abilities
Diamond Form – Passive
- Emma Frost’s organic diamond is immune to all Stun, Bleed, Poison, Incinerate, Shock, Frostbite, Coldsnap, Fatigue, Concussion, and Exhaustion effects.
- Well-timed Blocks grant a Prowess Buff.
- When Emma Frost changes into Diamond Form, she replaces all temporary Prowess Buffs with new indefinite Prowess Buffs that increase Special Attack Damage by +10%. Prowess Buffs are capped at 5 in Diamond Form.
- 10% chance that a Block reduces all damage.
- +1636.36 Armor
- +352.94 Block Proficiency
- +1636.36 Physical Resistance
- +2000 Critical Resistance Rating
- Opponents have -181.82 Critical Damage Rating
Developer Note: Diamond Form is Emma Frost’s defensive form. She’s immune to all of the most common Debuffs in the game, including Stun, which means she isn’t stopped by the Parry mastery. Her defensive stats also get a huge boost.
Telepath Form – Passive
- When Emma Frost changes into Telepath Form, she replaces all indefinite Prowess Buffs with new Prowess Buffs that increase Special Attack Damage by +10% and last 7 seconds. Prowess Buffs are capped at 10 in Telepath form.
- Critical hits grant a Prowess Buff, and refresh all existing Prowess Buffs.
- Emma Frost is able to read her opponent’s thoughts, allowing all Emma Frost’s attacks to ignore Evade.
- +222.22 Critical Rate for each active Prowess effect.
- +40.82 Critical Damage Rating for each active Prowess effect.
Developer Note: Emma Frost is at her most aggressive in Telepath Form. The Prowess buffs she builds in both forms boost her Crit rating and Crit Damage, and Critical Hits grant her even more Prowess. The easiest way to generate Prowess is to get some indefinite Prowess in Diamond Form, then switch to Telepath and use the Prowess you already gained to land Critical Hits and get all the way up to 10 buffs.
Heavy Attack – Diamond Form
- Generate 50% additional Power.
- Opponents generate 80% less Power from this attack.
Heavy Attack – Telepath Form
- 60% chance to Taunt the Opponent for 5 seconds.
- Opponents that are Taunted have their Attack reduced by 40% and have a 70% higher chance to activate a Special Attack.
- These Debuffs are removed if Emma Frost switches to Diamond Form.
Developer Note: Emma Frost’s Heavy attacks make it easier to transition into Telepath Form, and then stay there. In Diamond Form, she will generate more Power than the opponent. In Telepath Form, Opponents are Taunted into using their Special Attacks. In both cases, Emma Frost will likely end up with more Power than the opponent, triggering the swap into Telepath Form.
- Emma Frost switches to Telepath form for the duration of the attack.
- Once Emma Frost finishes a Special Attack, all Prowess Buffs are removed.
- This attack deals True Damage, ignoring all of the opponent’s Armor.
Developer Note: Some of the hits of Emma Frost’s Special Attacks are Psychic projectiles. Unlike regular projectiles, they can’t be dodged or avoided by characters like Daredevil, The Hood, or Ghost
Special 1: Mental Assault – Emma Frost assails the Opponent’s mind directly with a pair of telepathic strikes.
- 100% chance to inflict Power Sting for 8 seconds. An opponent with Power Sting takes 1094.4 Direct Damage when activating a Special Attack.
Special 2: Brainstorm – Emma Frost launches a psychic blast at the opponent, following it up with a direct mental attack.
- 100% chance to inflict Concussion for 8 seconds, reducing the opponent’s Ability Accuracy by 50%.
Special 3: Dominate the Mind – Emma Frost takes complete control of the Opponent’s mind, subjecting them to extreme mental trauma before giving them a harsh return to reality.
- 100% chance to reduce the opponent’s Power Gain from all sources by 75% for 8 seconds.
Signature Ability: White Queen
- When Telepath Form is active and Emma Frost would lose more than 15% of her Max Health from a single source, she activates Diamond Form for 3 seconds to reduce the damage. This ability activates before checking Armor and Resistances.
- When Emma Frost uses a Special Attack, the opponent’s controls are reversed until just after the end of the attack
Developer Note: Emma Frost’s Signature Ability powers up both her defensive and offensive abilities. The first ability swaps her into Diamond Form before she would take too much damage, so that her increased defenses can reduce the effectiveness of the attack. The second ability makes it incredibly difficult to dodge Emma Frost’s Special Attacks, and the effect lasts just long enough to also interfere with the opponent’s follow-up attack. However, some Champions like Magneto and Juggernaut are protected from the reversed controls by psychic shielding in their helmets.
Memories of Genosha – Sentinel – Unique Synergy
- Emma Frost: +15% Attack Rating in Diamond Form.
- Sentinel: +4 Physical Resistance for each Analysis Charge.
Impenetrable Hide – Colossus- Unique Synergy
- Emma Frost: Emma Frost switches to Diamond Form when she and the Opponent are in the same bar of Power.
- Colossus: +15% increased Power Gain for each Armor Up Buff.
It’s Complicated – Cyclops (New Xavier School), Cyclops (Blue Team) – Unique Synergy
- Emma Frost: Emma Frost can strike with Critical Hits even while the opponent is Blocking.
- Cyclops (New Xavier School) and Cyclops (Blue Team): +10% increased Power Gain.
Phoenix Force – Phoenix – Unique Synergy
- Emma Frost: Whenever Emma Frost would gain one Prowess Buff, she gains two instead.
- Phoenix: Entering Overload does not consume Fury Buffs. When Phoenix stops Overloading, all Fury Buffs are removed.
Double Edge, Liquid Courage
- Both Double Edge and Liquid Courage increase Emma Frost’s Attack at the cost of applying a Bleed and Poison Debuff. However, Emma Frost starts fights in Diamond Form, which will remove these Debuffs while keeping the Attack bonus
- In Telepath Form, Emma Frost has increased Critical Rating and Critical Damage Rating, depending on her Prowess. Increasing these even further via the Cruelty and Precision Masteries means she will land Critical Hits more often, giving her more Prowess, and making her Critical Hits strike even harder.
Block Proficiency, Perfect Block
- Emma Frost needs to Block the opponent in order to build Prowess Buffs in Diamond Form. Equipping the Block Proficiency and Perfect Block masteries will decrease the amount of damage Emma Frost takes when doing so.
Anti-Bleed, Anti-Poison, Anti-Stun
- In Diamond Form, Emma Frost is immune to Bleed, Poison, Stun, and a host of other debuffs. Any nodes or opponents that rely on these effects will struggle against Emma Frost, especially since she starts every fight in Diamond Form.
Spider-Man, Nightcrawler, and other champions with Evade
- When in Telepath Form, all of Emma Frost’s attacks ignore Evade. This means Champions such as Spider-Man and Nightcrawler will take the full force of her assault, including her empowered Critical Hits.
- Power Drain gets complicated when Emma Frost is involved. Decreasing her Power is likely to trigger her swap into Diamond Form. This means she’ll lose access to her powerful Critical Hits, but her defensive stats will increase. This can be a good or bad thing, depending on who her opponent is.
- When Emma Frost suffers an Armor Break in Diamond Form, she’ll be forced into Telepath Form for the duration of the Debuff. This will reduce her defenses, and remove her immunities to Stun and Bleed, making her much more vulnerable. On top of that, it is more difficult for Emma Frost to generate Prowess in Telepath form. So Champions that can consistently inflict Armor Break will have an easier time against Emma Frost.
- Emma Frost’s greatest damage potential comes from her increased Critical Damage Rating and Critical Rating in Telepath form. Champions that decrease the effectiveness of Critical Hits or prevent them from occurring them at all will significantly hamper Emma Frost’s ability to dole out damage.