CHAMPION SPOTLIGHT – RED GUARDIAN
About RED GUARDIAN
Alexei Shostakov was one of the Soviet Union’s most acclaimed pilots, crediting them with air supremacy over the skies of Stalingrad and Kursk during World War II and thus granting him national recognition. As the Cold War flared, Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev determined the Soviet Union needed its own equivalent to Captain America and seeing Shostakov’s popularity, chose him to fill that role. The KGB then faked his death, training him in secret and turning him into a master of hand-to-hand combat and a highly skilled athlete.
RED GUARDIAN’s Mechanics
Similar to Captain America, Red Guardian uses a shield in combat, however it’s not made of vibranium and thus is more susceptible to incoming damage. Red Guardian’s shield contains stacks of Durability which enhance it’s defensive capabilities. During combat shield Durability is lost whenever Red Guardian blocks an attack or throws a Special 2. Because Red Guardian’s shield is crafted from Ablative material, whenever it drops to 0 Durability it is Fractured and explodes in the Opponent’s face inflicting multiple Debuffs. Throughout his kit, Red Guardian has a variety of ways to trigger Debuffs on the Opponent. Building Debuffs on the Opponent for both damage and utility purposes is core to this champion, the more Debuffs the better!
Base Stats & Abilities
|Health||Attack||PI (Max Signature)|
(Rank 3, Level 45)
Character Class: Science
Basic Abilities: Stun, Trauma, Slow, Vulnerability
- Never gains a Buff
- Red Guardian can’t gain Buffs. This ability might not sound great on paper, but there are a lot of circumstances where having a Buff is actually a negative. When fighting Dormammu each time a buff expires you will degenerate, or when fighting nodes such as the “Spite” Node having a buff will cause the Opponent to gain Power.
- Block Unblockable Attacks
- While his shield is active, Red Guardian can not only block unblockable attacks, but also stun any unblockable opponent who dares strike his shield, completely flipping the tables on them!
- Burst Physical Damage
- One of Red Guardian’s main sources of damage comes from his Trauma Debuff that allows him to deal large amounts of burst physical damage. Trauma can be stacked multiple times to increase this damage even farther.
- Reliant on Debuffs
- In order to get the most of his kit, Red Guardian needs to apply a lot of debuffs and maintain them throughout the fight. Any Opponent who can shrug or reduce Debuff duration will prove to be a significant challenge!
- Reliant on Heavy Attacks
- Red Guardian needs to keep debuffs on his opponent for as long as possible, he does this by landing heavy attacks. This is also where he gains additional attack per unique debuff on the opponent. If Red Guardian isn’t able to land the occasional heavy he is significantly less viable.
- Low Health Pool
- Red Guardian is a fantastic damage dealer with some great damage reduction while his shield is active, however his base health is low, making each hit he takes very detrimental.
The following Stats and Abilities are based on a Rank 5, Level 65, 5-Star Champion
- Red Guardian can’t gain Buffs, whenever a Buff attempts to trigger he gains +1 Durability for his Ablative Shield instead. Cooldown: 0.80 seconds.
- The Ablative Shield starts each fight at 9 Durability and can stack up to a max of 10. Each blocked hit removes 1 Durability.
- Each Stack of Durability increases Perfect Block chance by 5%. Perfect Blocks, reduce incoming damage to 0.
- While the Shield is intact, Red Guardian can block Heavy and Unblockable Attacks and gains 1400 Block Proficiency.
- Blocking a Heavy or Unblockable Attack reduces Shield Durability to 0, however all hits of the incoming Attack can be blocked.
- When reaching 0 Durability the Shield is Fractured, entering cooldown for 8 seconds. This cooldown increases by 300% each time Fracture occurs. When cooldown ends, the Shield is repaired at 7 Durability.
Developer Note: While his Ablative shield is active, Red Guardian is one of few champions who is able to block Unblockable attacks. Additionally, when blocking such an attack the Opponent will be stunned, giving Red Guardian a window to start a combo!
- Carbonadium shards from the Ablative Shield burst onto the Opponent, inflicting a Stun Debuff for 1.90 seconds.
- Inflict a Trauma Debuff for 3 seconds, Trauma causes each hit to deal an additional 70% of the damage recently dealt as burst Physical Damage. Max Stacks 3.
Developer Note: Red Guardian not only blocks Unblockable attacks while his shield is active, but he also flips the table on his opponent with a stun effect giving him an opening to immediately counter attack. This can be great in matchups such as the “Buff Toggle Unblockable” or any opponent who becomes Unblockable in their base kit.
- Gain +402.75 Attack Rating for each unique Debuff on the Opponent.
- Refresh all Slow, Vulnerability and Trauma Debuffs on the Opponent.
Developer Note: Stacking unique debuffs is a great way to deal high amounts of damage with Red Guardian and can give him a lot of damage potential when fighting on a node that puts debuffs on the opponent, or with synergy team partners that give him additional unique debuffs such as Mister Fantastic’s pre-fight ability!
Special 1: Shield Charge
- On activation inflict a non-stacking Slow Debuff for 12 seconds reducing the Ability Accuracy of the Opponent’s Unstoppable and Evade effects by 100%. Opponents with a natural Class Advantage cannot be Slowed.
- While the Opponent is suffering from Slow, Red Guardian’s Power Rate is increased by 25%.
Developer’s Note: Generally this Attack is always the best opener to use since it gives Red Guardian additional power rate while his opponent is slowed. This allows him to build to his other specials much quicker and can be maintained with his heavy attack!
Special 2: Ablative Bash
- On activation if the Ablative Shield was intact, gain +859.2 Attack Rating throughout this Special.
- If this Attack strikes the Opponent, the Ablative Shield is Fractured, removing all Durability. Each stack of Durability removed grants an additional +322.2 Attack Rating to each hit of this attack.
- During this attack any Debuffs inflicted last 100% longer.
Developer Note: Red Guardian’s ideal loop is to use this attack to Fracture his own shield thus inflicting Trauma and Stun at +100% duration. This is also a great way to deal some huge damage because attack rating is increased for each stack of Durability and this damage will burst even more with the Trauma debuff!
Special 3: KGB Beatdown
- If the Ablative Shield is active, its Durability is set to max. If the Ablative Shield is Fractured, its cooldown ends immediately.
- 100% chance to inflict a Stun Debuff for 1.90 seconds.
- Inflict a non-stacking Vulnerability Debuff for 20 seconds. When attacking a Vulnerable Opponent, increase Critical Damage Rating by 1181.25 and decrease their Block Proficiency by 50%.
Developer’s Note: KGB Beatdown is best used to repair the Ablative Shield when its cooldown gets too long to wait out. It’s also a great way to gain another unique debuff and the stun gives an instant opportunity to start the next combo!
Signature Ability – Enhanced Combat Durability
- Maximum Durability for the Ablative Shield is increased by +1 for every 40 signature levels obtained. Max increase of +5.
- Well-Timed blocks have a 100.00% chance to prevent Durability loss.
- Trauma, Slow and Vulnerability Debuffs last 30% longer.
Developer’s Note: Red Guardian’s Signature Ability is very important to upkeep his shield durability and will also increase the max cap on his durability! It’s important to note that the increase to durability works a little differently than other champions, increasing the durability cap at certain thresholds in the Signature Ability rather than a gradual increase at each level.
FAMILY REUNION – Unique Synergy
With Black Widow (Deadly Origin)
Red Guardian: While charging a Heavy Attack, become Passively Unstoppable for 0.6 seconds. Cooldown: 10 seconds
Black Widow (Deadly Origin): Black Widow starts the fight with her Passive Evade active until triggered
EASTERN BLOCKERS – Unique Synergy
With Rhino and Abomination
Rhino: Starts the fight with a Passive Fury granting +30% Attack Rating for 20 seconds. While this Fury is active Rhino also gains +50% increased Ability Accuracy and inflicts the Opponent with a Slow Debuff.
Abomination: all attacks have a 50% chance to inflict Poison, dealing 70% of modified Attack over 10 seconds.
LIVING STEEL CURTAIN – Unique Synergy
With Unstoppable Colossus and Colossus
Unstoppable Colossus: Personal Fury Buffs gain an additional flat +10% chance to trigger and last 200% longer. Additionally landing a Heavy Attack pauses all personal Fury Buffs until another is gained.
Colossus: Activating any Special Attack has a 50% chance to trigger an Unstoppable Buff, lingering 1.2 seconds after the Attack ends.
MAGNIFICENT MANES – Unique Synergy
Red Guardian: While the Ablative Shield is fractured, gain an indefinite Passive Fury, Granting +10% Attack Rating until the shield is repaired.
Sabretooth: Potency of Fury effects are increased by 10%.
ENHANCED WITH CARBONADIUM – Unique Synergy
With Omega Red
Red Guardian: takes 50% less damage from incoming attacks while the Ablative Shield is at max Durability.
Omega Red: When the fight begins, the Opponent is inflicted with up to 5 Death Spores.
- Red Guardian applies a lot of Debuffs to his opponent allowing him to synergize quite nicely with the reduction to opponent’s healing and regeneration abilities granted from this Mastery.
- Red Guardian applies a lot of Debuffs to his opponent allowing him to synergise quite nicely with the reduction to opponent’s Attack Rating granted from this Mastery.
- Red Guardian’s heavy attacks gain additional Attack Rating for each unique Debuff on the Opponent, this mastery gives him access to another Debuff he can use to lower their Attack Rating and increase his own!
- Red Guardian has access to a variety of Stun effects, this Mastery will extend all of them and allow him a larger window to attack his opponent!