CHAMPION SPOTLIGHT – WOLVERINE (WEAPON X)
About WOLVERINE (WEAPON X)
Logan became known to the Weapon X program when he joined Team X. While Team X would disband, the Weapon X program was far from finished with him. He would later be the chosen subject for Experiment X, leading to him being captured and taken to a facility near Roanoke, Canada. There, Adamantium was bonded to his skeleton, and his brain was programmed to keep him under control. But after he was “tested” on the population of Roanoke, he was driven into an insane berserk rage by the pain of what he had endured, and what he had been made to do. Breaking free he escaped from the Weapon X program, but though much time has passed, he has never truly recovered from what was done to him by the Weapon X program.
WOLVERINE (WEAPON X)’s Mechanics
Weapon X is a Berserker, and we’ve tried to make his mechanics and playstyle feel like it! He’s all about building up his Rage Charges until he snaps and that’s when the fun really starts! Once he’s entered Berserk Rage he’s all out offense, starting with a burst of Unstoppable to let him charge through whatever his opponent throws at him, and Unblockable so they can run, but not hide. The only thing to really be careful about is Heal Block, as your primary protection while Berserk is that on Struck Regeneration.
Base Stats & Abilities
*All stats based on 5-Star, Rank 5, Level 65, Signature Level 200
- WITHOUT SIGNATURE: 7615
- WITH SIGNATURE (200): 10380
Character Class: Mutant
Basic Abilities: Berserker Rage, Regeneration, Unstoppable, Bleed
- Weapon X has no Base Armor, however he does have a strong Regeneration ability that will trigger when struck to balance that out, and then once he goes Berserk he’ll Regenerate all the Hit Damage he takes, though do watch out for other Damaging effects, as he only Regenerates the damage from the Hit itself.
- With a chance to trigger a Bleed on pretty much every hit, a decent portion of Weapon X’s damage comes from Bleeds. When in Beserk Rage, Weapon X has a 100% chance to trigger a Bleed!
- The Unstoppable that triggers at the start of Berserk Rage is both something to watch out for when fighting against Weapon X, and a great tool for allowing a controlled hit or two through to trigger his big on Struck Fury.
- No Armor
- While Weapon X’s Regeneration will help compensate for his lack or Armor, any Armor Breaks are going to start driving his Armor Negative immediately, and the Opponent’s Hit Damage will climb quickly.
- Heal Block
- Most of Weapon X’s defense comes from Regeneration, and while his Regeneration Rate can’t be modified (except when Poisoned) Heal Block works just fine.
- Probably the scariest thing Weapon X can do on Defense is to go Unstoppable at a bad moment, but given that his Unstoppable triggers can be predicted, Slow can make this a non-issue.
- Immune to All types of Regeneration Rate Modification except due to Poison.
- The Potency of all Bleed Effects is reduced by 50%.
The Regeneration Rate Modification includes things like Petrify, etc.
Rage – Passive
- Weapon X gains a Rage Charge each time he’s Struck, one of his Abilities Fails to trigger due to Chance, or a Debuff is Purified off the Opponent.
- Gaining Rage Charges as well as all of the Berserk Rage Effects are unaffected by Ability Accuracy Reduction.
- At 25 Rage Charges Weapon X snaps and enters a Berserk Rage lasting until his Rage Charges reach 0.
- Upon entering Berserk Rage, Weapon X goes Unstoppable for 4 seconds.
- As long as he’s Berserk and not Unstoppable, Weapon X’s Rage Charges fall off one at a time, falling faster the longer he’s been Berserk.
- After Weapon X’s Berserk Rage ends all of its associated effects immediately end, and Weapon X cannot gain Rage Charges for 20 seconds.
Rages Charges are Weapon X’s primary resource. It’s the thing to watch to tell when he’s going to go Berserk and the thing you want to build when playing as him. The “one of his Abilities Fails to trigger due to Chance” is the less straightforward one, here’s two examples:
1) Weapon X lands a hit, but his 50% Chance to Bleed fails, so he gains a Rage.
2) Weapon X is Struck by an Attack, he gains 1 Rage from his on Struck clause, and then he could gain a second, if his on Struck Regeneration fails to trigger.
Berserk Rage Effects – Passive
- Weapon X gains the following bonuses while in Berserk Rage:
- Gain +2414 Attack.
- 100% Chance when Struck to gain a Regeneration Passive healing 100% of the Hit Damage taken, over 5 seconds.
- 100% Chance when Struck to gain a Fury Passive granting +3621 Attack, for 5 seconds. Max: 1 Stack.
- Immune to All Stun Effects.
- All Attacks become Unblockable.
These are binary effects, Weapon X gains all of them the moment he goes Berserk, and loses all of them the moment Berserk ends. So keep in mind this means any pending Regeneration will be lost. While he’s Berserk, Weapon X just wants to be in his opponent’s face! Using his unblockable to punch through his opponent’s block, leveraging the periodic Unstoppable from his Heavy Attack to proc the on Struck Fury, and counting on his Regeneration to keep him alive.
Attack Missed or Evaded – Passive
- Gain +2 Rage Charges.
- 100% chance to go Unstoppable for 1 second.
This ability helps Weapon X counter Evade abilities, letting him just stay on offense when Berserk.
- 50% chance to cause a Bleed Debuff dealing 362.1 Direct Damage over 5 seconds. With 10+ Rage this abilitiy’s chance to trigger increases to 100%..
This Bleed serves two purposes: 1) It deals damage over time. 2) It’s also Weapon X’s primary way to build Rage while Attacking, as each time it fails to Apply it gives him a Rage Charge.
- While not in a Berserk Rage, 50% Chance when Struck to gain a Regeneration Passive healing 40% of the Hit Damage taken, over 5 seconds.
Similar to the Bleed above, this Regeneration both helps compensate for Weapon X’s lack of Armor, as well as giving him a chance to gain a second Rage Charge each time he’s Struck.
When Charging a Heavy Attack
- If Weapon X has any Rage Charges, he gains a Passive Unstoppable for 1.5 seconds, then goes on Cooldown for 10 seconds.
This helps Weapon X get access to his Heavy Attack which is an important part of his loop.
- If below 10 Rage Charges, double current Rage Charges
- Refresh all Bleed Effects on Opponent.
And this is why the Heavy Attack is an important part of Weapon X’s loop. It allows him to juggle larger Bleeds that can be triggered with SP1 and SP3, but even more importantly it lets him build his Rage very quickly, and helps keep his Rage up while he’s Berserk.
- Gain +5 Rage Charges
- If at or above 15 Rage Charges, go Berserk.
Special Attack 1 – X-Slash: Weapon X delivers what will become a signature move with his razor sharp Adamantium claws.
- While Berserk gain +1207 Attack.
- 100% chance to inflict Bleed, dealing 2414 Direct Damage over 5 seconds.
- If this attack doesn’t Hit gain +5 Rage Charges.
When fighting against Weapon X this special attack is dangerous even if it is dodged because it helps build Rage stacks. Offensively it’s also a way for Weapon X to apply a strong Bleed effect for him to refresh with his Heavy Attack.
Special Attack 2 – Frenzied Rage: A wild charge of flashing claws and snarling teeth.
- While Berserk, each Hit pauses Rage fall off for 1 second.
- If triggered while not Berserk, gain up to +1810.5 Attack based on Rage.
This is Weapon X’s go to for immediate damage while in Berserk mode, allowing him to extend it slightly and benefit from all the bonus Attack he gets from it.
Special Attack 3 – Scent of Blood: Just the barest whiff of blood in the air immediately drives Weapon X into berserk rage.
- Gain Rage Charges up to 25 and then go Berserk.
- 100% chance to inflict Bleed, dealing 2414 Direct Damage over 15 seconds.
The SP3 gets Weapon X straight into Berserk Rage. This can be very useful to get back into Berserk Rage after the cooldown ends. It also inflicts the longest Bleed that Weapon X has access to, which makes it the easiest for him to refresh with his Heavy over the rest of the fight.
Signature Ability – Boundless Rage: Weapon X loses himself even more completely into his rage, becoming even less aware of the damage wreaked on his body.
- Berserk Rage’s Cooldown Duration decreases by 7 second(s).
- Start each Fight with a Regeneration Buff granting up to 4709.7 Health based on the number of Rage Charges Weapon X ended the last fight with, up to 25.
Wolverine (Weapon X)’s Signature Ability is twofold: it gives him greater access to his Berserk Rage mode, which in our opinion is when he’s most fun to play (not to mention most powerful). Secondly, it gives him a Regeneration on fight start, which supports the reckless, berserker playstyle of Weapon X. If he’s not taking at least some damage in the fight, he’s probably not being aggressive enough to make maximum use of his kit.
A GANG OF – Unique
With Wolverine, Wolverine (Old Man Logan), Wolverine (X-23)
All: Regen Buffs grant +15% Attack.
LAB PARTNERS – Unique
Wolverine (Weapon X), Sabretooth: +15% Bleed Debuff Potency.
TROPHY CASE – Unique
With Goldpool, Thanos, Kang
Wolverine (Weapon X): Start the fight with 5 Rage charges.
Goldpool, Thanos, Kang: Start the fight with a Fury Buff, granting 50% of your Base Attack for 15 Seconds.
- Double Edge
- Reducing the Potency of Bleed, let Weapon X get the full Attack Bonus for only half the Bleed Damage, plus once he’s unlocked his Signature Ability he can use his the Regeneration at the start of the fight to help get back any Health he does lose.
- Deep Wounds
- While Berserk, Weapon X triggers a Bleed on every Basic Attack, Deep Wounds can make these Bleed that much more effective.
- This doubles down on the Bleed Potency reduction built into Weapon X’s kit, allowing even more efficient use of Double Edge!