DEV DIARY: WHAT’S COMING IN THE CONTEST
BUILDING THE BEST CONTEST
Lead Game Designer and Captain Sparkles fanboy, Kabam ThatJim, here to introduce a new series of blog posts coming from the MCoC Development Team that will provide a deep dive into the future of The Contest.
Over the past few weeks, we’ve soaked up feedback, angry rants, passionate pleas, and some truly brilliant ideas for the game (some we totally haven’t stolen). With so much to sift through, we wanted to take the time to forge a new path ahead for The Contest that covers every major area of the game. Across each area, our goal is to resolve some of your biggest frustrations, inject much-needed content, and bring all-new ways to play MCoC.
This isn’t your run of the mill set of blog posts, this is the first step in a new phase of MCoC, one that we’re incredibly excited for and sets the scene for even greater things to come.
There are far too many things for us to squeeze this into one post and we want to give you time to unpack each one so we’ll be releasing parts every few days from next week. Let me give you an insight into what to expect from each part to get your Spidey senses tingling.
PART 1 – QUESTS
Part 1 is all about the future of the core of MCoC, our quest content. On top of the swathes of monthly content in Event Quests, Meta Events, and other specialist content; we’re committing to a new level of quality, scale, and challenge from the future of Quests.
Here’s a breakdown of what we’ll be providing a deep dive on:
- A New Vision – Explore the new direction for core Story content in MCoC
- Act 6 – All the changes coming to Act 6, bye-bye attack values, hello fresh Champion fight
- Book 2 Chapter 1 – Learn about the new direction, challenge, and gameplay of the latest act
- Variant 5 – Get a teaser of what’s to come from Variant 5
- Cavalier Difficulty – Find out more about the rollout of the next difficulty of Event Quest
- Rewards Boost – Bonus rewards for Abyss and beyond
- Soundtrack – Book 2 has more than just epic new gameplay… new sounds are coming
- Boss Rush & More – Starving for more?! We’ve got you covered
PART 2 – ALLIANCES
A few days later we come to MCoC’s social space, Alliances. After years of iteration and a few new toys to play with, we feel it’s time for some bigger changes to Alliances. In the short term, we’ll be bringing many quality of life features to reduce stress and time pressures, but there are some big features in the pipeline too.
Here’s an overview of what the Alliance Team will be diving into:
- Alliance Tools – An all-new set of tools including battlegroup, lane, and defender assignments
- War Refresh – New narrative, map, nodes, defense tactics and… REWARDS! All coming in S19
- War Future – Brand new vision for the future of Alliance War and the gameplay it may bring
- Quest Rebalance – Evaluating timers, energy, and node design options to reduce stress
- Quest Future – Epic new features, gameplay, and competition for the future of Alliance Quest
- Help System Improvements – Help All? No, it can’t be, can it? You bet your ass it is.
PART 3 – CHAMPIONS
MCoC is all about the awesome roster of Champions we have crafted over the past 5 years, but what does the future hold for Champions, and what do we have planned for Champions of the past? In this part we’ll break down our vision for buffs to the aging roster, much needed reworks to classic Champions, a tease of two of the most anticipated Marvel characters of all time, and a deep dive into the changes coming to Crystals & Signature Stones.
Here’s what you can expect from the Champion & Economy Team:
- Future Vision – Learn more about our Champion design and balancing ethos for the future
- Buff Roadmap – We’re working our way to buffing at least 2 Champions a month, find out who and when!
- Magneto – It’s happening, MCoC’s Magneto will finally be worthy of his name.
- 5-Star Releases – Always wondered about those missing Champions from 5-star, they’re coming
- Champion Tease – Learn about future Champions entering The Contest
- Crystal Update – More control and brand new Crystals are coming to MCoC
- Signature Stones – More abundant and accessible, Sig Stones are getting a major revamp
- Duel Targets – Fight any Champ, any time, and replay those fights!
PART 4 – FUTURE
Last, but by no means least, is a peek into the future of The Contest. On top of the myriad of epic new features, content, and rebalancing coming we have bigger plans to bring new interactions, just-for-fun gameplay, progression, and greater challenges for you to take on. We’ve never provided a look behind the curtain like this before, you’ll get an insight into features in development and ideas that may never see the light of day. It’s your chance to help guide the future of The Contest.
Here’s what we’ll be diving into:
- QoL – A range of smaller updates coming soon that will make The Contest smoother
- Arena Improvements – Better AI, less screens, and a more engaging grind all to come
- Incursions Future – What is coming to Incursions, gameplay, buffs and rewards
- Social Progression – A brand new social progression system is coming, learn about it here
- New Gameplay – A tease at some brand new fight gameplay mechanics
- New Mode – Take a look at some of our early mode designs and give your feedback
- Content Commitment – Our contract with you to keep it up and deliver more
This will be the biggest set of reveals in MCoC history, giving you an insight into the future of The Contest like never before, but this is just the beginning. It is our mission to keep up our communication, for you to get to know the team, and for us to share the why of the future of the game too.
So, join us for the first part of the MCoC State of the Game as we endeavour to Build the Best Contest.
Lead Game Designer